How To Guide: Achieving the ideal desk setupBy Nadia Angelini
The importance of ergonomics in your workday.
When we talk about ergonomics, what do we actually mean?
The Oxford English Dictionary defines 'Ergonomics' as follows:
Relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment.
So when introducing a standing desk to your workday, it’s vital that you have the correct ergonomic setup so that you can work efficiently and comfortably. This would mean you have a set up that allows you to be the most productive you can be.
Seems pretty simple right? Yes, so long as the design of your standing desk allows for it. We go into the guidelines for choosing a standing desk in our Blog: The 'HOW TO' guide: Choosing a standing desk that suits you.
In the meantime, we'll take you through some guidelines to get you up and running and feeling comfortable using your current setup. Click the graphic below to see our visual setup guide.
Guidelines for an ergonomic setup
- Position your monitor one arm's length away from you (50-71 cm)
- Top of your monitor is at or slightly below eye level
- Tilt your monitor slightly upwards (10-20 degrees) to stop reflections
- Stand directly in front of your monitor
- Relax your shoulders
- Keep upright and avoid slouching
- Keep your elbows beside you at a 90 degree angle
- Wrists and hands are parallel to the floor and have freedom to move
- Wrists and hands can rest comfortably on your desk
- You have even weight spread across both feet
- There is no pressure on your back when adjusting up and down
- You have a wide-open work area with no limitations
- Use an anti-fatigue mat if you stand on a hard surface
As a final note, even with the correct ergonomic setup, you may still experience aches or muscle fatigue if you maintain a static posture for a long period of time, particularly when you start out. This can be associated with strengthening muscles that you aren’t used to using.
Keep moving as much as possible and alternate your posture between sitting and standing throughout the day to feel productive, focused and comfortable.
The MOVI Standing Desk is a height adjustable standing desk platform that converts your existing desk into an electric standing desk without the time and cost associated with removing and refitting existing office furniture. Simple as that.
Our adjustable stand up desks are spacious, stylish, smart, safe and stable.
A more uplifting experience - We’ve engineered (and patented) our own electric lifting system to offer you more. Safer lifting, larger productive workspace, more height settings, better ergonomics, dual monitor lifting capacity, strength and stability at all heights, digital sit-stand reminders, digital height input memory save, power-save and more.
This goes without saying that our stand up desk arrives fully assembled, with both a 5 year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee in your choice of black or white with a beautiful bamboo bench-top.
Feel the difference - be more productive and uplifted at work.